- Born: Abt 1770, Scotland, probably
- Married (1): Murdoch McLeod
There is a couple with the same names in the 1851 Census in Kyleakin, Strath, Skye, but there is no positive connection to my ancestors Mary's maiden surname is not given.
They are aged 82 & 80, and have a widower son named Murdoch staying with them. He is aged 35.
- Murdoch senior was born in Red Castle, Ross & Cromarty and was a mason.
- Mary was born in Strath, Skye
- Murdoch junior was born in Fodderty, Ross & Cromarty and was a mason.
- Murdoch jr's son (Donald) was born in Strath, Skye about 1843
Murdoch jr might be the same person as appears in the 1841 Census in Kyleakin, Strath as a 25 year old mason.
In the same household as Murdoch jr in 1841 are Mary McLeod (age 50) and Margaret McAlpin, a spinster age 40. The 1841 Census does not record relationships so I do not know whether Margaret McAlpin is a relative. If she is, this could link him to Murdoch McLeod & Mary McAlpin, and he could therefore be a brother of our ancestor Bell McLeod.
Lot 10 in Kyleakin was rented by a Murdoch McLeod from 1828. It seems that he died in 1852 and his widow died in 1853. (Rents information from Clan Donald Centre.)
Note that very few Skye deaths before 1855 are recorded, neither in stone nor in Church records. Also, Murdo / Murdoch McLeod is such a common name that positive proof is needed for identification and to connect to my family.
So the trail seems to have petered out.
• Proof Link: Daughter's death.
• Branch: Buick.
Mary married Murdoch McLeod. (Murdoch McLeod was born about 1770 in Scotland, probably.)